Tea Bags and Aloe Vera – Two Home Remedies to Reduce Gum Swelling
Have your gums been swelling and inflamed? These are some of the telltale signs of gum disease, and it is something that you should see your dentist or periodontist about.
However, if you are in need of some more immediate solution that you can try at home in order to relieve these symptoms, aloe vera and tea bags are two safe and effective home remedies that might be able to help.
Using Tea Bags to Reduce Swelling
Black tea bags are full of tannins that can help with the reduction of gum inflammation. To use a tea bag to help with your gums, follow these tips:
- Steep a black tea bag in boiling water for about three minutes
- Remove the bag and allow it to cool to the point where it reaches a bearable temperature
- Place the tea bag on the inflamed areas of your gums for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse out your mouth with a solution of warm salt-water
- Repeat this process once a day for several days
Additionally, black tea is high in antioxidants, which can promote good oral health.
Using Aloe Vera to Reduce Inflammation
Aloe vera is another great way to treat swollen gums, as this herb has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that will prevent the growth of bacteria that cause plaque. To use it, follow these steps:
- Cut an aloe vera leaf open in order to access the gel
- Rub the gel onto your gums and massage for about two minutes
- Rinse out your mouth with water
- Repeat this process a few times each day until you notice a reduction in your inflammation
Even if you notice some improvement in your condition, it is still important that you contact our office for a follow up appointment. The state of your gum health needs to be evaluated in order to find a long-term solution to your inflammation.