Oral Hygiene in Chandler, AZ
Help from Our Team…
We find that our patients are most successful in achieving and maintaining a healthy mouth when they are on a 3 month periodontal maintenance cleaning schedule. Often, we recommend that you alternate these cleanings between our office and your general dentist so that we can maintain both your gums and teeth.
DIY at Home
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times a day with a soft bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Most people can benefit from using an electric toothbrush to help with plaque removal and minimize recession. We recommend the Oral B Professional series and the Sonicare. Make sure to replace your toothbrush or your electric toothbrush head every three months.
- Rinsing daily with an antiseptic mouth rinse like Listerine can be helpful to minimize bacteria. Dr. Scholes may also recommend a prescription mouth rinse if you have more severe inflammation or bleeding.
- Periodontal disease causes bone loss around your teeth. This can result in larger spaces between your teeth. Use an interproximal brush in addition to your regular tooth brush to remove food from between your teeth and remove bacteria. Follow up with floss to remove any loose particles.
- If you have sensitive teeth, specialized toothpastes like Sensodyne can help to alleviate discomfort.
- Many common medications can increase dry mouth. There are several products that can help to alleviate dry mouth symptoms. Biotene is one brand that has several products including mouth rinse
Healthy Body, Healthy Mouth
- Eat plenty of healthy foods
- Avoid sugar
- Drink plenty of water
- Chew Xylitol gum (anti-cavity gum)
- Avoid tobacco products, help with quitting is available
- Exercise regularly
- Minimize stress